Friday, November 30, 2007

Criticizing Mike

I have been an avid follower of political news and blogs on the internet since the Clinton scandal days of the late 90's. I understand that the internet is a great way to regular folks like myself to discuss ideas and opinions with people that I would never have the opportunity to encounter otherwise. As it is though, the internet can become something of an "echo chamber", where truth and logic fall prey to ideology and personal preference.

Reading my regular conservative/Republican sites in the last several weeks of this Huckabee surge, I have to admit that I am getting a little disgusted with some of my fellow conservatives. Before Mike was really on the radar, the bulk of the discussion online seemed to be taken with many people's dislike of Rudy Giuliani and a search for a more conservative alternative to his campaign. There was a small but vocal minority of folks who righteously declared that if Rudy were the nominee, then they would stay home! Although I have never been a Rudy supporter in any way, I certainly would vote for him over Hillary or Obama.

But the saddest thing I have noticed of late is that same self-defeating attitude toward Mike Huckabee. Many folks calling him "Bubba Jr." or an "economic liberal" based on some tough decisions he had to make as governor of Arkansas. Some conservatives are declaring that they will stay home if Huck is the nominee or that his nomination will be the death of the Republican party! How ridiculous is this?

Huckabee's rapid surge to the forefront has certainly hurt the feelings of many hard core supporters of other candidates. I imagine I would feel the same way if someone else surged past the candidate I believed in too. However, this kind of attack should be reserved for our true opponents next November. Yes, we need to vet our candidates and make the best decision we can at this time. But let's leave the name calling and hyperbole out for now. The 2008 election is just too important.

I have no intention of slamming Rudy or Mitt or Fred or anyone else on this blog. I believe that Mike Huckabee is the best candidate we have and I am going to spend my time talking about him, not running down everyone else. Plenty of other places on the net for that...

~Justin

(For the best response to criticisms of Mike Huckabee's record, check out the Truth Squad articles on the official website.)

2 comments:

Unknown said...

Well, written, and well said, Justin!

I'm still working on getting my blog completely up and running, for Mike, but check it out at http://mainstreetamerica.wordpress.com/

Sean Wing said...

Check out verivex.com and the Why I Like Mike article and thread. Your knowledge and info would be valuable in the debate.....people keep criticizing Mike.